Talent shines at homecoming’s Dub Idol

The 10 Dub Idol contestants stand together at the end of the competition awaiting the results. 

Kelsey Prillman | Contributing Writer

Homecoming at UNC Wilmington showcased the many talents of students. From the Real Teal Film Festival that started off the week to the homecoming basketball game where the Seahawks took on Charleston, the true variety of talented students could be seen all over campus.

But it was on Wednesday night at Dub Idol that students came out to Kenan Auditorium to discover the hidden talents of their fellow students. 

“I had never sang for a crowd anywhere near this size before,” said winner of the competition Matthew Moreland, a junior at UNCW. “But I’ve always loved singing and this will definitely push me to sing more.”

Dub Idol is UNCW’s very own version of the singing competition “American Idol.” Contestants performed a song of their choosing for three judges, then audience members voted to choose the best performer via a text system. At the end of the night, prizes were awarded to first, second and third place winners.

“I was so happy, so very excited to hear my name,” said second place winner Zachery Lee, a senior at UNCW. “I’ve never won anything before, so I just couldn’t believe it.”

Auditions for the show were held in November, and a contestant was chosen from each residence hall and two who represented off-campus. On the day of the performance, students came out in crowds, filling Kenan Auditorium top to bottom. Some even came with signs and posters, pledging support for performing friends.

No two singers were alike in their performances, ranging from soulful and jazzy ballads to vulnerable and emotional acoustics to Broadway-style showstoppers, each singer showed his or her strength. One performer, Ryan Muskal, even performed an original song with the aid of his guitar, perhaps showing the Seahawks the birth of a future singer/songwriter.

Moreland’s rendition of the acoustic version of Sia’s “Chandelier” left one judge speechless and drew screams of applause from the crowd. “I just liked the song and wanted a mellow version,” said Moreland. However, it left the crowd anything but mellow. 

Seahawk support was strong at Dub Idol, not only in the constant applause and posters for friends, but in the simple push to audition received by many performers. Lee, a member of UNCW’s a cappella group, the High Seas, says they encouraged him to audition.

“After I joined, I auditioned for a few solos and they were like, you should go audition for Dub Idol, and pushed me to it,” said Lee of his friends in the High Seas. “So, yeah, I probably wouldn’t have done this without them.” 

Moreland had a similar tale about his audition. “I’ve always loved singing, but it was my friends who kept really pushing me to audition, so I did.”

With Intercultural Week set up to follow homecoming, it seems UNCW students need only look around to be reminded of the many talented Seahawks surrounding them.