UNCW softball team starts season with a bang

Bailey Swogger, Staff Writer

The UNCW softball team could not have started the season any better, going 4-0 in the Charleston Southern Tournament this weekend.

Janel Gamache during UNCW softball’s opening weekend of play. (Alecia Hall)

Senior Janel Gamache powered the Seahawks in game one against Toledo, going deep twice including a walk-off homerun in the bottom of the 7th to give UNCW a 6-5 win.

The next game of Saturday’s doubleheader was against Charleston Southern. Freshman pitcher Kara Hammock stole the show for the Seahawks, as she pitched a complete game shutout while allowing only three hits in her first collegiate appearance. UNCW won 5-0.

Sunday started with another great matchup against Toledo that found its way into extra innings. Nine different Seahawks were able to reach base in this game including four that crossed home plate in the 8th inning, which was too much for Toledo to overcome. The Seahawks took a 9-7 win in a great team effort.

The Seahawks capped off the weekend with a high powered 3rd and 4th inning that featured another Gamache homerun and a homerun from senior outfielder Camryn Dean. The six runs between those two innings were enough to give UNCW a 6-2 win and complete the weekend sweep.

The Seahawks play five games this weekend at Boseman field. The action starts Friday Feb. 18 at 1 p.m. against Marist.