Dragons sweep Seahawks

Ahyiona+Vason+%2810%29+drive+in+to+the+basket+during+UNCWs+contest+against+Delaware+in+Trask+Coliseum+on+Feb.+24%2C+2019.+

Noah Powers/The Seahawk

Ahyiona Vason (10) drive in to the basket during UNCW’s contest against Delaware in Trask Coliseum on Feb. 24, 2019.

Morgan Starling, Contributing Writer

WILMINGTON, North Carolina – UNCW (3-5) was swept by Drexel (4-1) with a 61-34 loss Sunday afternoon in Trask Coliseum.

The Lady Hawks were unable to respond to Saturday’s loss with the Dragons, leading them to start 0-2 in the conference. Although the game was all tied up heading into the second quarter, the Dragons pulled ahead quickly, outscoring the Seahawks 50-23 in the rest of the game.

Senior guard Hannah Nihill had another big game for the Dragons, scoring 13 points. Junior guard Maura Hendrixson and senior guard Kayla Bacon scored 11 and 12 points. It wasn’t a big rebounding game for any particular Dragon, but senior forward Mariah Leonard chipped in six points and seven rebounds.

UNCW struggled to score, only shooting 22.2% from the field, 16.7% from behind the arc, and 50% from the free throw line. Despite the lack of scoring, senior forward Carol Anne-Obusek still managed nine points and 13 rebounds. However, this ended Obusek’s streak of finishing all her games this season with double figures. Junior guard Za’Nautica Downs also played a well-rounded game with 11 points and four rebounds. Freshman forward Taylor Webster chipped in six points and eight rebounds.

The Seahawks also outrebounded the Dragons 41-27, matched their season high in blocks with three, and committed 12 personal fouls. UNCW has had less fouls than their opponents in every game this season.

The Lady Hawks travel to Harrisonburg, Virginia on Saturday Jan. 9, and Sunday Jan. 10, to take on James Madison in the Atlantic Union Bank Center at 2 p.m.