UNCW’s campus dining implements new COVID-19 safety measures

Veronica Wernicke, News Editor

UNC Wilmington’s (UNCW) campus dining is one of many aspects that the university has had to adjust in accordance with health and safety concerns regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. 

New policies include extensive cleaning and sanitation, mandatory handwashing every 20 minutes for staff, staff use of personal protective equipment (PPE), marked spaces to enforce social distancing and requiring face masks as listed on the campus dining Best for the Nest page.

Campus dining also noted on their website that face masks have to be worn when picking up food and should only be removed when eating indoors. 

“Dining Services will increase the frequency of its sanitization procedures. Staff will provide continuous cleaning and sanitization of tables, chairs and other high-touch surfaces and back-of-house areas; drink stations and restrooms will be cleaned every 30 minutes. Additionally, each dining facility will be disinfected nightly once they have closed for the evening,” as stated in UNCW’s Best for the Nest Guide.  

Other measures being taken this semester include limiting inside dining seating and adding expanded outdoor seating, expanding the number of available food trucks and grab and go options and allowing students to order ahead through Grubhub. 

Dining options like Madeline To Go, Dub’s Café, Subway and Jole Mole will only be operating through mobile ordering. 

Students who have meal plans will also be able to use Teal Meals at convenience stores, like the POD, for grab and go foods.

New dining options this semester include Madeline To Go in Wagoner Hall, Veterans Market in Veterans Hall, a Port City Java and POD Market at Sandpiper and Pelican Halls and Panda Express in Fisher Student Union.  

More information about campus dining and their changes, like hours and teal meal options, can be found on their homepage.