Siddle named UNCW men’s basketball head coach

UNCW welcomes familiar face back to the Seahawk program

Noah Powers, Sports Editor

WILMINGTON — The UNC Wilmington men’s basketball program has named N.C. State assistant Takayo Siddle head coach of the program following the Seahawks’ 10-22 finish to the 2019-2020 season.

Siddle served as an assistant under former UNCW head coach Kevin Keatts during his time in the Port City and promptly followed Keatts to NCSU back in 2017, where they have helped improve the Wolfpack program.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Takayo back to UNCW and the Wilmington community,” said UNCW athletic director Jimmy Bass. “He’s been successful everywhere he’s been and we’re confident he will get our program back to the level our student-athletes, alumni, fans and community are accustomed to. He already has two CAA tournament championship rings, so there’s plenty of room for more.”

Along with UNCW and NCSU, Siddle has helped coach two other programs in Hargrave Military Academy and Gardner-Webb. The current UNCW job begins his first stint as a head coach.

“I’m honored to be named as the head coach of this proud program,” said Siddle. “This is — and has always been — a dream job for me. I can’t begin to tell everyone how excited I am.”

In 11 years as a coach, Siddle has compiled a record of 227-134, including six postseason appearances. From 2014-2017, Siddle helped the Seahawks to three CAA regular season championships and two CAA tournament titles.

Siddle replaces interim head coach Rob Burke who took over the program back in January following the firing of head coach C.B. McGrath. In nearly two months as the program’s frontman, Burke led UNCW to a 5-8 conference record — a push in the right direction from McGrath’s 0-6 record to start CAA play.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic and other potential factors, a formal introduction of Siddle has yet to be scheduled. However, according to the program, an introductory press conference will be scheduled for a later date.