UNCW suspends spring athletics

UNCW alters spring athletics schedule in midst of coronavirus pandemic

From+left%3A+Matt+Suggs+%2815%29%2C+Adam+Smith+%2835%29+and+Cole+Weiss+%288%29+during+UNCWs+matchup+with+Marshall+on+Feb.+23%2C+2020+at+Brooks+Field.+

Zachary Kilby/The Seahawk

From left: Matt Suggs (15), Adam Smith (35) and Cole Weiss (8) during UNCW’s matchup with Marshall on Feb. 23, 2020 at Brooks Field.

Noah Powers, Sports Editor

WILMINGTON — In the wake of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, UNC Wilmington athletics has opted to suspend its spring athletic events until further notice.

“The decision follows suit with the Colonial Athletic Association’s earlier announcement that ensures the well-being and safety of student-athletes, coaches, administrators and fans,” UNCW athletics said in a release.

Baseball was set to play a weekend series with East Tennessee State at Brooks Field, softball was also at home hosting Delaware State, Canisius and North Carolina Central in a three-day tournament and track and field was schedule to host the Wendy’s Invitational on Friday and Saturday.

This news comes less than a day after the decision was made to limit fan attendance at the 2020 Women’s Colonial Athletic Association tournament.

“Following consultation with the league’s presidents and athletic directors, it was determined that beginning Thursday, March 12, all games will be played with only essential tournament personnel, band and spirit squads, limited school administrators and student-athlete guests, broadcast personnel and credentialed media members,” said CAA Associate Commissioner Rob Washburn in a statement. “No additional tickets to the championship will be sold and previously purchased tickets will be refunded upon request. Other than bottled water, no concessions will be sold to fans in the building.

Further information will be released as it is announced. Follow @NoahPowersSH for updates as well.