Making the tough calls: Who picks Homecoming court

Lizz Wood | Staff Writer

With Homecoming rapidly approaching, UNCW student organizations are putting together their information to nominate candidates for homecoming king and queen 2011. Once the application leaves the hands of those organizations, the applicant has a long road ahead before being selected as a finalist for Homecoming court.

“The applications are reviewed by eight judges, and the top 10 queen candidates and top 10 king candidates are asked back for an interview. After interviewing, the top five king candidates and top five queen candidates make it onto court,” said Michael Croal, Spirit Co-Chair of Association for Campus Entertainment (ACE),

The eight judges have their work cut out for them. According to Megan Mackie, Co-Spirit Chair of ACE, applications were due last Friday, Jan. 21, and the top 10 finalists will be announced this Friday, Jan. 28. The judges include:

Carolyn Farley, Executive Director of Campus Life; Kimberly Gargiulo, Assistant Director of Alumni Relations for UNCW; Joshua Thompson, UNCW Alumnus and Employee; Clifton Williams, UNCW Alumnus and Employee; Sammy Pisano, Student Body Vice President; Vice Chancellor Pat Leonard; Dean Walker; and Mackie and Croal together get one vote.

Mackie says the top 10 will go through an interview process with the judges, and the finalists will be announced Monday, Feb. 7. Once the finalists are picked, it is in the hands of the students to pick their Homecoming king and queen. Students can log on to uncw.edu/ace for the link to the voting site. They will log in with their e-mail and password, according to Mackie.