Last man standing

Cam Ellis | Staff Writer

As the Seahawk baseball players ran out to their positions to start the first game of their much-anticipated season Feb. 18, Sean Buchanan wasn’t among them.

He didn’t start, nor would he play at all that game. Or the next one. Or the one after that. Yet for Buchanan, that didn’t quite matter at the moment. He was happy to be standing in the dugout.

Buchanan, a freshman, was the only player to successfully walk on and make the baseball team through open tryouts. He’s buried in the depth chart by scholarship players, but when asked about his role Buchanan had only positive things to say.

“I’m really excited to be a part of this year’s team,” he said. “I always wanted to play college baseball and to actually be here doing it, it feels great.”

Growing up in Apex, N.C., Buchanan was one of the most talented ball players, whether it was on the little league, club or high school level. So for some, Buchanan not signing to play in college came as a surprise. “It was just always assumed that Sean would play in college,” said freshman Carson Bowen, one of his closest friends. “We just always knew Sean would find a way.”

Buchanan was recruited out of high school by a few smaller colleges after batting .361 with 23 runs scored and 16 stolen bases his senior season. However, the academic prestige of UNCW was more appealing to him. “I went to UNCW for the academics, but to play baseball on the side, that’s just an added bonus,” Buchanan said.

UNCW baseball coach Mark Scalf had nothing but good things to say about the switch-hitting outfielder. “Sean’s a great player,” he said. “While he may not start right away, we will definitely utilize the talent he brings to this team. Whether it be for a late inning pinch runner or a defensive replacement.”

“I’m really happy for Sean,” said freshman Ben Brown, a friend of Buchanan. “It’s really cool for him to able to continue playing baseball at the next level, something most people don’t get the opportunity to do. It’s great.”

As for Buchanan, he’s just taking in the experience and working harder to get better. “I never imagined this happening in the first place, and now that is has happened, I have to make the most of this opportunity and work hard to get better for myself and for the team’s benefit,” Buchanan said.

For now, Buchanan’s main goal is to improve, and when game day comes he walks on the field for pregame warm-ups, successfully a part of the team. Walking on successfully, Buchanan knows all about that.