Donation sends UNCW basketball programs in right direction

Tyler Heffernan | Sports Editor

When former UNC Wilmington men’s basketball guard Joel Justus visited his old stomping grounds this past fall, Trask Coliseum hadn’t changed much. The 2004 Communication Studies graduate noticed the men’s locker room remained just the way he had left it and the arena was not receiving the upgrades that other CAA programs were.

From a facility standpoint, the Seahawks were falling behind.

Friday afternoon, UNCW Chancellor Rosemary DePaolo announced that longtime Seahawk donors George and Sylvia Rountree donated $250,000 to the athletic program. In recognition of this gift, the men’s basketball office suite will be named after George Rountree III. The donation will help athletic director Jimmy Bass fund the renovations he has planned for Trask Coliseum.

On Bass’ wish list are installing high-definition video boards and upgrading the bleachers opposite the student section to have chairback seating for season ticket holders.

Justus said, “I think it’s something that if you want to be at the top of the league, get elite recruits, show your players and everyone involved your commitment—it is something that needs to be done.”

DePaolo repeatedly praised the Rountrees’ financial support. “Their gift speaks volumes about their confidence in athletic director Jimmy Bass and the direction he’s given to our program,” she said. “Sylvia and George are such dedicated Seahawk fans and this gift is another example of their extraordinary commitment to our student athletes.”

The UNCW women’s basketball coaching staff and players attended the press conference. Senior forward Brittany Blackwell thanked the Rountrees, who were unable to attend for unknown reasons, on behalf of all Seahawk student athletes.

“Being a student athlete takes a lot of time, commitment and dedication and it means a lot when the community supports you,” Blackwell said. “It’s very reassuring and rewarding.”

The donation isn’t just beneficial to current players like Blackwell, though. According to Justus, facility improvements aid tremendously in the recruiting process for potential student athletes.

“So much of recruiting is bringing people in the gym in the offseason when no one is in there,” he said. “That’s when you have to have a little more of the flash. I think that kids are going to be very intrigued by that.

“The school has to show its commitment,” he added. “When there’s video boards, chairbacks and renovations, that shows a high school kid and his parents that the school is committed. Around the league, the other teams have stepped up and done some very nice things and that’s where Wilmington has to step up.”

But just as your mother warned you not to judge a book by its cover, Justus noted that only so much emphasis can be placed on facilities. In his mind, the basketball programs, especially the men’s team, have already been upgraded, even before the Rountrees’ donation.

“Above any facility and money is the product on the floor,” Justus said. “That’s the thing I’m the most proud of as an alumni, a former player; the players are playing harder.”

While a quarter of a million dollars won’t be able to provide a total facelift of a multi-million dollar facility, it’s a hefty band-aid. “It immediately gets you headed in the right direction,” Justus said. “We’re going to get there as a Seahawk nation. I think we should all feel good about the way things are heading.”