Chancellor Gary Miller takes office, installs committee to ease transition

Sasha Johnson - News Editor

Chancellor Gary Miller’s first order of business as head of UNCW was to form the Chancellor’s Transition Committee to introduce Miller and his wife Georgia to the campus, local communities and the state of North Carolina.

“It is very important to my wife, Georgia, and me that we interact with as many members of the university community, Wilmington and the surrounding area as possible during our first months here,” said Miller in a press release. “The transition is also an excellent opportunity for us to reflect on the record of success you already have achieved and the promising future of UNCW.”

Chief of Staff Max Allen will chair the committee, which consists of 17 members representing students, faculty and staff. Students on the committee include Jeren Hernandez and Katie Niel, recommended to the Chancellor by the Division of Student Affairs, in addition to Student Body President Sammy Pisano. The committee will work closely with Provost Cathy Barlow and the Board of Trustees to ensure that Miller’s transition is smooth and efficient.

“[Chancellor Miller] plans to utilize this committee to help identify places that he needs to go and see and be a part of,” said Allen. Miller wishes to be involved with student organizations, for example, and attend events and outings, said Allen.

In addition to acquainting Gary and Georgia Miller with the campus and the community, the Transition Committee will serve as a forum to reflect on UNCW’s future in preparation for development of a new strategic vision.

The opinions of the faculty, staff, students and alumni are key in “[moving] forward with a common purpose,” said Miller. The committee will therefore develop and execute a process to survey these various groups on the strengths and weaknesses of the university.

At the first meeting of the committee, five sub-committees were formed to focus individually on concerns and events relating to faculty, staff, the student body, the community and the Chancellor’s installation ceremony—his formal welcome—in the spring.

“The work of this committee will be critical to garnering community interaction and interest in future plans for UNCW,” said Allen in a press release. He named important players such as donors, prospective students and parents, legislators, business and community leaders, and state officials. The committee will recommend activities to the Millers to introduce them to these groups, among others, for the first six months of Miller’s term until his installment. “Chancellor Miller wants to be visible, accessible and engaged in this community, region and state,” said Allen.