ACE adopts Boseman Gallery

Gillian Perry | Assistant Lifestyles Editor

The Association for Campus Entertainment (ACE) is adding yet another section of student life to their organization: the Ann Flack Boseman Gallery.

ACE, which currently consists of five committees dedicated to different types of program areas, will hire the head of the new Boseman Gallery committee at the end of this week. The new chair and committee will begin work on selecting exhibits for next year. ACE plans to integrate its current members with members of the Curator’s Club, which currently administers programs for the Boseman Gallery. ACE hopes to reach out to more students and try new programming through the adoption of the gallery.

“ACE events are planned by students, for students. Adopting the Boseman Gallery will allow us to reach a new demographic and more thoroughly embrace the rich artistic culture of both campus and the surrounding region,” said ACE Vice President of Membership Sara Sweeny.

Shane Fernando, interim director for arts and programs in Campus Life, currently oversees the gallery. The Boseman Gallery traditionally runs six to eight exhibitions per year, including an exhibition dedicated solely to student artwork.

“By ACE integrating the Boseman Gallery into the organization the gallery will still maintain its connection to academics as well as its reputation for being one of the finest galleries in Wilmington,” said ACE advisor Stefanie Mancuso.  “ACE will continue to maintain the Boseman Gallery’s focus on students’ art and exhibitions while increasing its visibility and connection to other programs on campus.”

2012-2013 ACE President Dustin Clark is looking forward to the expansion of ACE, especially since the gallery is a programming space that is very different from everything that ACE currently does.

“It will allow ACE to tap into a whole new audience that we don’t normally reach, and it will surely bring Boseman a new audience,” said Clark.

In addition to adopting the Boseman Gallery, ACE will also be maintaining the art exhibits that appear outside of Dub’s Café in the Warwick Center. The organization is making an effort to attend each gallery installation and opening in order to learn as much about the process as possible before beginning programming for the space.

“We are looking forward to enhancing the Boseman Gallery while maintaining its museum quality. This is a great opportunity for both ACE and the Boseman Gallery,” said Mancuso.

Proposals for next year’s exhibits are due March 15. More information can be found at www.uncw.edu/boseman.