Release party for UNCW’s creative magazine, Atlantis

Shea Lenkaitis | Staff Writer

Atlantis, UNCW’s creative magazine, is holding a release party to celebrate their newest issue. The event begins at 9 p.m. Thursday, Apr. 19 at The Soapbox Laundro-Lounge. This downtown venue, located at 255 N. Front St., always hosts fun events with music and a bar, and everyone is welcome to attend the release party. Admission is free if over 21 or $3 if under 21.

The people that have put so much time into making the release of this magazine possible, and the people that are having their art published in it, are all very excited to see their hard work finally come out officially, for everyone to see. Many students and people in the community are still not aware of what Atlantis is exactly. Brianna Elliott, the editor in chief, explains the intent of their magazine on their website.

“The term “Atlantis” mainly encompasses what we are best known by, which is our literary magazine that is published three times a year. The magazine is student run and created, and is dependent on submitted content by both undergraduates and graduates. At its core, it is a literary magazine, but it has been morphed into an artistic publication that features art, poetry, photography and prose, as well as several non-fiction process pieces, which highlight local artists.”

To continue their goal of letting local artists be heard through their art, there will be many different things going on at the release party. People attending will get the privilege of seeing the Spring 2012 issue for the first time, but there will also be concerts from Heather Maloney and the local band, Libraries. There will be poetry readings taking place throughout the night as well, as free copies of the magazine are distributed to attendees.

Atlantis also just started a new way for people to release their creativity, in the form of a blog on their website. Apr. 13 they were happy to announce on their website that they now have even more to offer students at UNCW, and there is a new way for students to voice their own work and art.

“The staff is enthused and ecstatic that the magazine now hosts an additional media outlet (their online blog). We hope that this will serve as a creative hodgepodge of multiple purposes- exposing students’ creative work, continuing to foster a creative movement in Wilmington and at UNCW, and spreading joy via a humorous post or a photograph that really speaks to someone,” says Elliott.

Elliott also explained that they have been working hard to revamp their magazine, and they have made some recent staff changes and changes to their website to ensure the best experience for anyone involved with their publication.

The chance to submit work to Atlantis in hopes of being published in the Fall 2012 issue has just passed, but there are always opportunities to submit to the magazine throughout the school year for future editions.

Help support UNCW’s creative magazine, and enjoy a fun night out at The Soapbox, helping local artists get their work out into the world, and keep looking for new editions of Atlantis.

http:// www.atlantismagazine.org/

http://uncw.edu/studentmedia/atlantis.html

www.atlantismagazine.org/blog/archives/18