UNCW crime report released

Nathan Johnson | Intern

Statistics confirm that UNC Wilmington is a safe university.

All students received the 2014 Campus Crime and Security Report on Sept. 29. The report shows crime from the academic year 2011 to 2013.

The crime report informs students, faculty, staff and future students of what types of crimes occur on and around campus.

“It is required by law to let students, prospective students, employees, prospective employees know about the crimes that are occurring on campus,” Major Christian Bertram of the UNCW police department said. “It is a very comprehensive report that addresses crime, safety, fire safety for the university and the community as a whole.”

This year’s report includes three new categories of crime: domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.

“Those have been added because they passed the Violence Against Women Act this past year,” Bertram said. “[It] increased the reporting requirements for universities.”

Previously, domestic violence would be reported as an assault on a female, but now the cases are reported more specifically.

Despite the recent sexual assault case on campus, UNCW students still feel safe.  UNCW junior Chad Koon reflected on an experience with one of his female friends. The two of them walked along Randall Drive when a car pulled up beside them. The men in the car asked her to participate in sexual acts in exchange for money. Koon’s friend refused and the men left. Regardless of this Koon said, “I feel like it is [a safe campus].”

To deter criminal acts and reduce the amount of wrongdoing that occurs on campus, the UNCW police department uses an array of programs.

“We work with Crossroads and CARE as far as education against sexual violence, domestic violence…and substance abuse,” Bertram said. “The biggest thing is educating people.”

To maintain positive crime statistics, the police officers use a patrolling system. The officers are not restricted to these areas, but each officer focuses their attention on the area they are assigned.

“The campus is split up into what we call patrol areas of responsibility,” Bertram said. “We have four patrol squads, each squad has one part of the university that they are responsible for.”

As a result of the patrolling system and other policing strategies, UNCW crime statistics improved over the past three years.

During the 2011 to 2013 academic year, UNCW did not have any reports of murder, non-negligent manslaughter, negligent manslaughter, or non-forcible sex offenses. Non-forcible sex offenses consist of incest and statutory crimes. Forcible sex offenses, drug violations referred for disciplinary action, and arson increased in 2013. Liquor violations referred for disciplinary action, liquor arrests, and weapon violations referred for disciplinary action arrests decreased in 2013.