Student spirit enigma leaves lasting impact on sports scene

Parker G leads a record-crowd in cheers during the men’s soccer game against UNC earlier this year.

Sierra Shepherd | Contributing Writer

If you’ve gone to any UNC Wilmington sporting event over the past four years, chances are you’ve witnessed one, more colorful, loud, spontaneous fan stick out from all the rest.

Now, that fan is set to graduate from UNCW which begs the question: Who will carry on that torch of school spirit?

Campus celebrity Parker G (the “G” being short for his last name, Grissom) is on his way to the finish line as a Seahawk. May 2015 will mark the end of his time at UNCW, but he plans on staying involved with the university.

Now a senior, Parker G began his career at UNCW in the spring semester of 2011. Since then he has become a rather ubiquitous icon on campus and in the Wilmington community, no place more so than at sporting events.

Midnight Madness

In his first year at UNCW, Parker G debuted an original rap song during the school’s annual debuting of its basketball teams, Midnight Madness, establishing his presence within the school’s sports scene.

The song, “Fly Like a Seahawk,” a track that uses the instrumental of Far East Movement’s “Like a G6,” became popular around campus, gaining an early following for the artist responsible for the song.

“That kind of kick started my reputation”, Grissom said.

The Flyest Flock of Screamin’ Seahawks

Initially, Grissom attended games out of sheer interest, gradually becoming more deeply involved. In fall of 2011, Parker found the school’s student spirit organization, The Screamin’ Seahawks, which he dubbed The Flyest Flock of Screamin’ Seahawks (FFSS), an attempt at increasing student attendance at athletic avents.

“There was a lack of fans at the games, and when I saw that, I thought, ‘This is unacceptable,’” said Parker G.

The group is present on social media, with active pages on Facebook and Twitter.

Parker G said the organization existed, but the group was dormant. Now the president of FFSS, he said the club is made of up energetic officers and students who want to be at sporting events.

Additionally, the club has representatives from each traditional on-campus housing area. The goal is simply to connect different aspects of campus life over athletic events.

“We are the glue that keeps UNCW together,” Grissom said. “We connect ACE, SGA, professors, Seahawk Links, and athletes. The Flyest Flock benefits athletes most, and then students. It gives them a reason to win.”

At sporting events, he leads FFSS in cheers – some classics, others are originals.

“The best cheers are ones that are different, yet not complex,” Grissom said. “Some of the old cheers were too hard, or confused the crowd.”

However, with Grissom graduating in May, new leadership is needed in FFSS, something that has already been taken care of.

Sophomore Michael Hayes will become the club president when Grissom graduates.

“I love his (Grissom’s) passion for getting students involved at all athletic events,” Hayes said. “Now that Parker is graduating this year, I had the opportunity to take the next step with our organization. My hope and plan for Screamin’ Seahawks is to develop a stronger connection with students, create a larger fan-based section at athletic games, and give everything we do to the Glory of God.”

Hayes, current secretary of FFSS and club volleyball member, is a member of Lambda Chi Alpha at UNCW.

A key attribute of the FFSS is their commitment to healthy, responsible fun. The goal is to keep energy alive while promoting healthy excitement instead of pregaming.

“Ever since I’ve had a house off-campus, we have paint-up sessions before the games,” Grissom said. “But we don’t tailgate or have drinking beforehand.”

Members of FFSS receive “swag” like a lanyard, wristband, T-shirt, and mini megaphone upon paying dues. They also get decked out in face/body paint supplied by the organization.

UNCW Men’s Tennis

Aside from being the president of FFSS, Grissom has also held the position of match announcer for the men’s tennis team for the past three seasons.

“I became friends with all of the tennis players,” Grissom said. “The matches used to be announced by the [former] assistant coach, but he wanted to focus on coaching. So he asked the players to find an announcer and they unanimously picked me.”

Grissom relates the position as similar to that of a DJ, playing music before matches and during intermissions. The senior has also brought in live performers for matches as well.

Grissom’s goal for the upcoming season is to seek fraternities and sororities who wish to sponsor men’s tennis as philanthropy. He is also looking for an announcer whom he can train now for the new season, as well. Those interested should email him at [email protected].

Post-Graduation Plans

Even after graduating, Grissom plans on remaining in Wilmington and involved in the Seahawks’ sports scene.

Possibilities with the sports marketing department and Seahawk Club pique his interest, while staying involved with the student dynamic is also important to him.

Parker G has previously contributed to the Student Athlete Advisory Committee. Last year, he helped get ‘Code Teal’ games started. Each sport has one game that all athletes attend, further increasing school spirit.

“I still want to work with athletes, by helping with strength and conditioning, and cross-training with coaches,” Grissom said. “I also see myself mentoring future leaders of The Flyest Flock, and I’ll probably still be doing things at halftime. UNCW will be my platform for crowd funding of my social entrepreneurship.”