Students experience Wilmington’s annual Riverfest

Casey McAnarney | Assistant News Editor

Although the event had to be postponed due to weather and bad conditions from Hurricane Joaquin on the original dates, Wilmington’s annual Riverfest went on this past weekend along Wilmington’s downtown riverfront and UNC Wilmington students went.

Riverfest is an annual street fair that features food, arts, crafts, dance performances, fireworks, children’s activities, a car show, and live music. The festival is held along the riverfront from Market Street to Cape Fear Community College and this year marked the 37th year of Riverfest.

“I love coming to Riverfest,” said UNCW Sophomore Kelly Brown. “Last year was my first year going [to Riverfest] and from my experience last year I knew I had to come again. [Riverfest] is just too much fun.”

With around 200 craft and food vendors as well as fireworks, Brown said that there was plenty to do and see while at Riverfest. One of her favorite aspects about the festival, though, was the art that lined the streets.

Those in charge of the festival purposely kept the number of commercial vendors low so that the artists can be front and center, according to Riverfest’s official website, because “this is called ‘Art on the River.’”

Some of the art displayed at the festival ranged from spray painted portraits, Star Wars prints, crafted jewelry and novelties.

However, art does not captivate everyone. UNCW Sophomore Brooke MacKenzie went midday on Saturday to the festival and enjoyed the Goo Goo Dolls cover played by the band that performed, Seneca Guns.

“They played Slide and it made my whole day,” said MacKenzie. “My friends and I got Kilwins [ice cream] and had such a good time during [the band’s] set.”

Seneca Guns was not the only band that played; Riverfest had three bands perform throughout Friday, four on Saturday, and three again on Sunday.

One friend of MacKenzie’s that enjoyed more than just the music was UNCW Sophomore Lauren Arsena. Arsena had family visiting during the festival and brought her younger cousins to some of the more child oriented activities.

Arsena said that her cousins loved the bounce houses and blow up slides that were reserved for children and were “awe struck” by the fireworks Saturday night. Her cousins were also fascinated by the old fashioned cars that lined the street across from Kilwins Chocolates & Ice Cream.

“I will say that I wish that they might have postponed construction since they postponed the festival,” said Arsena. “Right in front the dock on the riverfront had construction work being done and there was only a small area that large crowds could walk through, which was a little annoying.”

But other than the construction, Arsena said that Riverfest was a successful trip for her and her family.

Overall, UNCW students had a great time exploring a part of their city that they do not see as often as campus and the surrounding community. Riverfest provided a fun getaway from studying for finals and opened students up to art, local vendors, and the community in downtown Wilmington.