Where is the love…on campus?

Nathaniel Liu | Contributing Writer

Valentine’s Day has come and gone, but love is still in the air at UNC Wilmington. One has to wonder: is it worth it to look for love on campus, or is it in vain? Without a doubt, dating in college is far different from the awkward courtships and drama of high school. For the most part, men and women would agree that it is easier to find a relationship with someone who shares similar values, hobbies and interests.

Unlike high school, social standing plays a much smaller role in the overall success of relationships in college. There are no more unspoken traditions of the quarterback dating the cheerleading captain.

At any college, you may find an arts major dating a biology major, or a computer programmer dating a rugby player. Some may still equate fraternity and sorority members to the ‘popular’ clique in high school, but that does not label them as ‘jocks’ and ‘mean girls’. As people grow out of their high school ways, college students here at UNCW are interested in meeting others who match their maturity and diversity.

This begs the question: WHERE do students actually meet other students looking to get romantically involved?

One way that is certainly growing in popularity is online dating, especially through the use of Tinder. This application basically removes the emotional ambiguity and is very honest. If you and another person both swipe right for each other, you know that at some level you are physically attracted to one another. The downside to this search methodology is that it can be rather crude, and students, females in particular, can attract some unsavory attention.

Recently, the Association for Campus Entertainment hosted its third annual speed dating event at UNCW. Participants had two minutes to speak to their partner before moving on to the next round. If one participant liked another, he or she had the opportunity to write down a participant number provided by the event. These numbers were then collected, and ACE sent out emails to everyone who matched with each other.

This event worked similarly to Tinder, but the emotional aspect of romance was more present, and participants were given the chance to talk face to face. From observing this event, I saw there were definitely sparks flying between students of all sexual orientations. A few of the students I spoke to said they were glad the university put on programs like speed dating, since they felt dating was quite challenging on campus.

Speed dating, unfortunately, is not for everyone. Some people really need time to build a bond with others. For those kinds of people, getting involved in clubs is a great way to do so. It gives students the opportunity to meet people they already have something in common with.

For some students, this closeness can be seen as a disadvantage. UNCW junior Lizzie Lovett believes it would be very awkward if she broke up with her boyfriend, since they live in the same building, have the same friends and are involved in the same student organizations.

Some choose to go on a date weekly until finding ‘the one’, some choose to focus on other things and some have a combination of both. Everyone has different preferences and desires in their romantic lives.

For better or worse, the dating game has been totally revamped since high school. It can still be challenging, but the chances of finding a significant other have increased thanks to all of the online and on-campus opportunities available.

Many students take pride in the fact that UNCW has often been cited as a school with some of the most attractive students in attendance. Why not enjoy the prime of your life, seize the day and find that special someone to binge-watch Netflix with you?