Beau-tiful things happening in Wilmington

Ava Hicks | Contributing Writer

Just minutes from campus, at the intersection of Wrightsville and Kerr, a new business has opened its doors and is touching the hearts of the residents of Wilmington. Locals Amy and Ben Wright are the couple responsible for the inspirational coffee shop, Beau’s Coffee, which held its grand opening on Jan. 25.

The Wrights’ kindhearted actions come as no surprise considering their involvement in the field of helping people with disabilities. Amy is the founder and president of Able to Work USA, an organization dedicated to creating and finding jobs for disabled individuals. Her husband, Ben, serves as the president of Dye Creek Capital, an investment practice that focuses on hiring workers with disabilities.

Their passion for helping these individuals stems from more than an elevated sense of compassion; the Wrights are the loving parents of four children, two of which have Down syndrome. In fact, the shop is named after their 11-year-old son, Beau.

“It has been amazing,” said Amy Wright, owner of Beau’s Coffee. “The response has exceeded our expectations for sure. We just feel really blessed that the entire community has come out to support us and are excited about what it means for the community. Our long term goal is to expand throughout Wilmington, and we would love to have Beau’s all over the country one day.”

Since Beau’s is such a popular spot for locals and tourists alike, the shop is always overflowing with people. The small interior and limited seating may discourage some, but simply lounging and sipping your coffee for a while makes you appreciate the welcoming, friendly atmosphere.

Upon entering the establishment, you are greeted by cheerful faces and the smell of fresh coffee wafting through the building. The welcoming employees behind the counter look delighted to see you and treat you as if you were a lifelong friend. Their passion for the customers almost matches the joy that is evident on their faces and the energy that radiates from each and every worker.

“I like to work on the cash register and say ‘good afternoon, how can I help you’ and ‘is there anything else I can get you?,” said Malik, an employee of the coffee shop. Malik confirmed that the most enjoyable part of the job is working with the customers and getting to meet new people.

Instead of unintentionally butchering your name like many of its counterparts, Beau’s Coffee has invented an alternate way of matching each customer to their latté. After debating over the numerous coffee flavors chalked on the wall and informing the barista of your decision, you are handed a playing card with a specific number and suit. Once your drink is crafted and ready to be enjoyed, one of the cheerful baristas will call out your card and deliver the drink right into your eager grasp. This strategy almost makes getting a cup of joe seem like a game, while also eliminating the confusing game of “Did they say Ava or Eva?” and “Is her name Ava, too?”

“The shop is conveniently located near campus in a quaint little corner building,” said Erica Denton, a first year graduate student in the English department at UNC Wilmington. “The employees there are very attentive to the needs of the people coming in and seemed very excited to be there.”

Even students who haven’t found the time to visit are raving about the inspirational shop.

“The owners of Beau’s coffee shop have come up with a great business platform that is so inspiring to the community, and I think it will definitely expand to other cities,” said Alex Murphy, a freshman at UNCW.

The shop originally planned to only be open until noon, but the overwhelming support and enthusiasm from the locals has influenced the Wrights to extend the hours. Beau’s Coffee is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, and is closed on Sunday.