If a UNCW vagina could talk, what would it say?

Malia Benison | Contributing Writer

Celebrating yet another anniversary this past week at UNC Wilmington, the Vagina Monologues, a show that recognizes the joys and struggles of women, took audience members by their emotions, making them laugh hysterically and think deeply. 

The cast, made up of around 20 women, held rehearsals each week for at least four hours. It involved constant communication with over 10 departments on campus, including organizations like the Feminist Student Alliance, Women’s Studies, the Communication Studies Department and many more.  

The show was originally not going to be constructed this year, but made an unexpected surprise thanks to Mikaela Fleming, a UNCW student and director for the Vagina Monologues. 

“Everyone has been really accepting and relieved that it’s happening again, said Fleming about the monologues. Thanks to her and many others involved in this play, students and members of the community were able to come out and see the show.  

“What’s great about Eve, is that she doesn’t want to turn anyone away, Fleming said of the original director. For every woman that auditioned, there was a place found for her. There wasn’t any exclusion or rejection of a willing body wanting to contribute to the production. Fleming said that if she didn’t get to perform in the show, she contributed to promotions, advertising or stage managing.  

One of the UNCW students selected to perform in the show, Ottillie Mensah, spoke about her doubts and excitement for participating in the production.

“At first, I was hesitantI did not want people to think of me as some crazy feminist,” said Mensah. “As I began to rehearse my lines and listen to the other monologues, the content resonated with me and I understood the deeper meaning of the monologues.  

As for her view on the monologues now, I want people to walk away from the Vagina Monologues a little more educated about the fundamental human rights females deserve,” said Mensah.

For many individuals, the anticipated meaning was heard. Jessica Parrott, a UNCW freshman, was one of those people.

“I definitely felt empowered after hearing the stories,” said Parrott. “It will help you see femininity in a new and powerful light. 

Seeking a duty to educate an audience on these issues is exactly what the performance of these women embodied. They were stories that traced back to queer women, trans-women and even women in foreign countries who dealt with genital mutilation.   

The ideals of the Vagina Monologues’ message promoted feminism and female liberation. Its comedic and moving sketches spoke to the crowd about various women‘s experiences whether they were of the female anatomy, sexuality, identity, assaults or self-discovery. The actresses and the stories that they told made the audience comfortable with being uncomfortable, bringing numerous themes out of social taboo.  

When it comes to educational purposes, we don’t really talk about anatomy and safety with birth control, condoms or sexual diseases,” said Fleming while discussing the open-mindedness of the show. “We live in a society that shies away from that. 

The show emphasizes the importance of accepting and acknowledging the woman’s experience and framework.

“It may not be my specific story, but I’m hearing that other women have gone through stuff similar to me, and people are listening,” said Fleming. 

Students who are eager to join the production in the following years can look forward to an ample amount of opportunities. The Monologues will begin auditions and construction of the show come fall semester, and anyone is who is of legal age and willing to help with the assembly may apply.