The effects of alcohol and drug abuse

George Ross | Contributing Writer

It’s a Friday night and you’re at a party. You’re sipping on a glass of Malibu rum, some good music is playing in the background, and everyone seems to be having an awesome time. Someone offers to smoke a joint with you outside. You’re not quite sure what to do. If you had asked me, I would have said forget the joint, drink a bit more, and then Uber yourself away to Sandbar.

I mean, c’mon. Who doesn’t like watching their best friend get completely slaughtered; swigging bottles like a booze-drowned rat and slurring words at police trying to explain why they stole a traffic cone off London Bridge at four in the morning? Hilarious, right? (Note: That last bit is not a past drunken antic of mine, I swear.)

We all know that getting drunk can be serious fun. If you had chosen the joint, that probably would have added a positive spark to your night.

However, it wouldn’t have really mattered, because let’s face it, you’re not doing your health, mental well-being, or liver any favours. In the last year, 85 percent of UNC Wilmington students drank alcohol, 18 percent of which said they like to mix alcoholic drinks together.

Binge drinking increases the risks of alcohol poisoning and heart disease. From personal experience, it is difficult to keep track of how much you consume in a night, and it is easy to lose control in risky or unfamiliar circumstances. The tolerance and speed of drinking in a session can vary depending on the person, but if you feel you are drinking too much, or feel vulnerable when drunk, you should: 

1) Try to drink more slowly.

2) Drink water as an alternative.

3) Eat a full meal before consuming alcohol.

4) Avoid drinking games.

5) Stay with people you know and trust. 

Over 30 percent of students have taken illicit drugs in the past year, 20 percent of which have used non-prescribed prescription drugs.

Cannabis, also known as weed, is the most common drug taken on college campuses. This has often been presented to students as part of the ‘student experience,’ which is why I strongly discourage following social norms. As well as developing physical and mental health risks, drug-users are more likely to engage in unprotected sex, which can increase the risk of being infected with an STI or becoming pregnant.

Also, universities do not look kindly upon students with drugs in their possession. Many institutions will ban you or drop you from your courses. The best way to reduce the risks associated with drug use is simply not to use them.

If you would like to know more about the effects of alcohol and drug use, you can visit the CROSSROADS page on the UNCW website, or visit the website for the National Institute on Drug Abuse for more information.