Men’s baseball continues home dominance with sweep of ETSU

Assistant Sports Editor: Noah Thomas

UNC Wilmington, after clinching a non-conference weekend series against East Tennessee State University with a pair of 10-run wins on Friday and Saturday, swept the Buccanneers with a 16–11 victory on Sunday.

After recording a season-high 19 hits on Friday, the Seahawks promptly broke this season’s record less than 24 hours later. Their 23 hits on Saturday, led by a 5-for-6 day by sophomore Brian Mims, were two shy of a school record 25.

10 hits and a wild pitch allowed UNCW to score nine runs in the third inning of Saturday’s game, giving them a 10-1 advantage. Freshman pitcher Alex Royalty was taken for a ride by the ETSU lineup in the following frame.

The Buccaneers scored six runs in the inning on just four hits that included a three-run home run from Lance Mays. What looked like an early blowout had quickly become interesting again, but the Seahawks kept their foot on the gas all the way through.

“It was an outstanding job offensively all day long,” said head coach Mark Scalf. “It was a very good approach, guys using the whole field to hit in. Our plate discipline was solid and we just put a lot of good swings on the baseball.”

Scalf turned to sophomore relief pitcher Austin Easter after removing Royalty from the mound. He came in and dominated, sitting down nine of 10 batters faced and striking out four, including when he struck out the side in the fifth inning.

Nick Feight continued to impress. The sophomore catcher’s RBI count for the season swelled to 59 over the series, and he now leads the nation in that category.

“Nick, you know, he’s had a tremendous year so far,” said Scalf. “It’s amazing that he continues to roll up there with runners in scoring position and continues to produce. His approach doesn’t change, his mentality doesn’t change, he can continue to carry this throughout the course of the year.”

Sunday’s contest did not bode as well for the Seahawks through the first seven innings. The back of UNCW’s starting pitching rotation has arguably been its weakest spot in 2016. It goes without saying that it caused them problems.

Starting pitcher Cory Gantz lasted just three full innings. He gave up five runs on five hits, throwing 60 pitches.

Down 11-7 going into the eighth inning, the Seahawks needed a spark. They found one in Gavin Stupienski. Having already hit two homers that day, the senior went yard a third time with a grand slam that gave UNCW a 12-11 lead.

That was only half of a nine-run frame put together by Wilmington. They would tack on four more after Stupienski’s home run, then securing a win behind closer Ryan Gesell.

UNCW (23-9, 5-2) will be back at Brooks Field on Tuesday as it continues its home stand against Campbell. It defeated the Camels 11-4 in their first meeting on April 6.