Azalea Festival returns downtown, brings record crowds

Ana Morrow | Assistant Opinion Editor

The Azalea Festival returned to town this past weekend, bringing with it much excitement. Held along Wilmington’s historic downtown riverfront on Water, Front and Market Streets, the event draws a great deal of locals, tourists and college students to the festivities.  

The Azalea Festival is an annual event that ties in a street fair, family events, concerts and pageants that illustrate local pride and Southern hospitality.

The festival originated in the spring of 1948 and has been a huge success ever since. Thousands of people volunteer each year to ensure the town is ready for all of the traffic and the events are top notch.  

The multitude of events range from parades to pageants, totaling to about 50 events each year. Some of the most popular events are the parade, street fair, Azalea Sweep, 5k/10K/Kid’s run, Airlie luncheon garden party, the Queen’s Coronation and the concerts. This year‘s featured performers were The Avett Brothers, Chase Rice and Snoop Dogg 

The street fair is one of the most visited events as it features an assortment of food and art vendors, as well as a children’s area. Not only is the street fair a prime spot for locals to enjoy, but it is a prime location for businesses to advertise as well 

“Being able to work at the festival has been a fun experience,” said Top Toad employee and UNC Wilmington sophomore Mathias Thorpe, who had the opportunity to work the Azalea Festival. “It is certainly a good way for businesses to advertise, and it is enjoyable to be in the festival atmosphere.” 

While many enjoyed the street fair, others took advantage of the concerts at the Belk stage. This year Snoop Dogg, Chase Rice and the Avett Brothers were the featured bands. With thousands of locals and students who attended the concerts, each was a big hit with sold out shows. 

The Azalea Festival is not just about entertainment; ialso gives back by offering a scholarship opportunity to one lucky young lady. The Beverly Anne Jurgensen Scholarship Award is awarded to the winner of the scholarship pageant, typically a local high school juniorand was given to Lilly Kays this year.  

UNCW showed its school pride as numerous students volunteered and participated in events such as the parade. Coach Kevin Keatts served as the grand marshal, and several CAA Champion Seahawks rode on the UNCW float.  

The woman behind the magic of the whole ordeal is one of our own, UNCW alum of 2004, Alison Baringer. For over eleven years she has been the festival’s executive director. Baringer plays a huge role as she oversees the events, develops new ideas and coordinates with all of the volunteers. 

People from all over enjoy seeing Wilmington in a different light and taking advantage of all the festival has to offer. The Azalea Festival is an annual event that will truly never dull and offers a grand time for all.