Tropical Storm Colin expected to hit Wilmington by Tuesday

Hannah Williams, News Editor

Tropical Depression 3 is expected to strengthen to Tropical Storm Colin by Sunday night or Monday morning, according to the National Hurricane Center, and it will likely bring heavy wind and rain to eastern North Carolina by Tuesday.

Tropical Depression 3 began forming in the southern Gulf early this week, and as of Sunday afternoon, the depression was located near the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico and was moving north at 8 mph. Winds were estimated to be approximately 35 mph at that time.

When the storm reaches eastern North Carolina, winds could reach 50 mph and Wilmington could receive 2-3 inches of rain. The storm comes at a time when many future students and their families are journeying to Wilmington for Freshman/Family Orientations at UNC Wilmington.

Just last week, Tropical Storm Bonnie brought heavy rain and floods to parts of the Carolinas and Georgia and later to the Outer Banks.

As of Sunday, Florida is predicted to receive some of the worst of the storm. Portions of Florida, western Cuba and the Yucatan Peninsula could receive up to 8 inches of rain. A storm surge of 1-3 feet near Tampa Bay is possible, the National Hurricane Center reported.  Much of the Gulf Coast of Florida, from Apalachicola to Venice, has been issued a tropical storm warning.

WCTI Channel 12 News recommends residents of eastern North Carolina monitor the evolving forecasts, for the storm could bring heavy rains to the coast.