One person shot in Charlotte protest, officer injured

Protestors confront bicycle officers along Trade Street in Charlotte, N.C., on Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2016. The protestors were rallying against the fatal shooting of Keith Lamont Scott by police on Tuesday evening in the University City area. (Jeff Siner/The Charlotte Observer/TNS)

This story has been edited to clarify the attribution of sources.
 
 
A peaceful protest turned violent Sept. 21, 2016 when a civilian shot a fellow Charlottean during a Black Lives Matter protest. 
 
The man, 26-year-old Justin Carr, died Thursday at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, according to a CNN report.
 
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney told CNN that one police officer shot this man, and that two investigative branches were looking into this incident.
 
One officer had been injured in the protest, which was reported on the Charlotte Police Twitter account according to CNN, and the officer was taken to a hospital. The extent of the officer’s injuries are still unknown.
 
A public defender had begun to create barriers between the police and protesters, according to CNN. Police had taken multiple individuals behind the line of officers. The public defender had been trying to keep people calm.
 
The shooting on Tuesday that inspired the protests was due to the death of Keith Lamont Scott who was shot by a police officer in an apartment complex parking lot, said CNN. The father of seven was shot when officers came in search of a different man.
 
The CMPD Chief told reporters Thursday he has “no intention of releasing dash-cam video of Scott’s shooting ‘to the masses,’” according to CNN. However, Scott’s family has asked to see the video, and Chief Putney said he will accommodate that request.
 
“Starting as a prayer vigil, Wednesday’s protests escalated when a group split off from the vigil and marched through downtown,” said The Associated Press. “The march became violent after a protester was shot and critically injured. City officials say police did not fire the shot.
 
Gov. Pat McCrory issued a state of emergency in the city of Charlotte, according to WBTV, and brought the National Guard as well as the State Bureau of investigation with him.
 
As of Sept. 22, all uptown roads have reopened after the protests, but most employers are telling their employees and staff to stay home.
 
The following issues over attribution have been accredited in the latest update: CNN was responsible for most of the reports on ground coverage of the protests, while The Associated Press and WBTV contributed information on the start of the protest as well as the governor’s actions throughout the evening.