Obusek leads Seahawks in loss to Dukes

Moriah+Crisp+%282%29+during+UNCWs+contest+against+Delaware+in+Trask+Coliseum+on+Feb.+24%2C+2019.+

Noah Powers/The Seahawk

Moriah Crisp (2) during UNCW’s contest against Delaware in Trask Coliseum on Feb. 24, 2019.

Morgan Starling, Staff Writer

HARRISONBURG, Virginia – UNCW women’s basketball (3-10) dropped its eighth straight game to James Madison 79-55 (11-7) Tuesday afternoon in the Atlantic Union Bank Center.

The Lady Hawks jumped out to a solid start entering the second quarter with a two-point deficit. Unfortunately, the Dukes owned the second quarter scoring 29 points to pull ahead of UNCW, a lead they never relinquished. They shot 44.1% from the field and 35.7% from behind the arc, making 10 threes, while UNCW only shot 34.8% from the field and 30.8% from the three-point line.

James Madison had four players in double figures with two others following close behind. Freshman forward Claire Neff led the Dukes with 19 points and three rebounds. Sophomore guard Kiki Jefferson followed close behind with 14 points and 12 rebounds, while freshman guard Jamia Hazell put up 12 points, eight assists and five rebounds. Junior guard Madison Green, graduate forward Anne Diouf and sophomore forward Rayne Tucker scored 11, 9 and 8 points, also chipping in a few rebounds each.

Despite the loss, UNCW committed a season-low 10 turnovers.

The Seahawks also had four players in double figures with senior forward Carol-Anne Obusek leading the team with 16 points and 13 rebounds, her fourth consecutive double-double, the first player to accomplish this since Karneshia Garrett in the 2012-2013 season.

She was followed by three Seahawks with 10 points each: freshman guard Mary McMillan, freshman guard Taylor Webster and freshman guard Sallie Vick. McMillan chipped in five assists and Webster grabbed six rebounds. Junior guard Rinnah Green scored eight points in her first appearance for the Seahawks.

UNCW will return home this weekend to play a two-game series with Northeastern (4-11) on Saturday Feb. 20 and Sunday Feb. 21 with both games set to tip off at 1 p.m. in Trask Coliseum.