UNCW’s symphonic band and wind ensemble performs with local high school

Elizabeth Heglar | Lifestyles Editor | @ElizabethHeglar

Lovers of brass, wind and percussion joined together in Kenan Auditorium on Thursday, Nov. 3 to watch two ensembles come together. UNC Wilmington’s symphonic band and wind ensemble performed with Eugene Ashley High School’s wind ensemble to put on an evening of music.

Ashley High School’s Wind Ensemble performed first. They played five separate pieces, composed by four different composers. The first, “A Night on Fire” composed by John Mackey, began with heavy percussion. Four of the bands percussionists sat at the front of the stage and set the tone for the entire piece.

The band’s director, Robert Parker, introduced each song himself and gave a little background to either the piece, or its relevance to the band. In his introduction of the band’s third performance, “Courage of the Cossacks,” he told a story about getting the piece written by a friend specifically for Ashley’s band. That composers name is Ed Kiefer.

The group ended with “The Ringmaster’s March” composed by John Mackey, a favorite of Parker’s, before intermission began.

“This is one of my all time favorite pieces to conduct … Since this will be my final chance to conduct this piece, let’s have fun shall we?” asked Parker of the audience before taking his place at the podium on stage.

After intermission UNCW’s symphonic band took the stage to play a Peter Mennin piece titled “Canzona.” The UNCW wind ensemble performed next with “Magnolia Star” by Steve Danyew, which featured a distinctive clarinet solo.

UNCW’s ensembles joined onstage to perform their third and final piece: “Of Sailors and Whales (Five Scenes from Melville)” by W. Francis McBeth. This five-part piece tells the famous story of “Moby Dick,” written by Hermin Melville. Each part has its own title: “Ishmael,” “Queequeg,” “Father Maple,” “Ahab” and “The White Wale.”

This final performance audibly captured the turmoil of the novel, with the wind ensemble able to create flowing watery tones and the brass adding in those loud horns that conveyed the struggle between man and animal.

UNCW and select members of the Ashley High School ensemble came together for the final performance of the evening to present “Red Rock Mountain” by Rossano Galante.

Eugene Ashley High School Alumni and current UNCW student Wesley Moore got to perform percussion with both bands.

“I though it was very cool and surreal at the same time. Having Mr. Parker conduct myself and other alumni was a great experience” Moore said of performing with his alma mater.

When asked what his favorite part of continuing to perform into college was, Moore commented on the comradery he has found within the band.

“My favorite part is all the friends I have made since I started in 2014. I’ve made friends I’ll probably even have after I graduate. Playing loud percussion instruments is always fun too,” he said.

John P. LaCognata, who was appointed in 2010 to conduct the wind ensemble, conducted UNCW’s ensembles as well as one of Ashley’s performance pieces throughout the evening. Robert A. Parker conducted four of Eugene Ashley’s performances as well as narrated the speaking parts of “Of Sailors and Whales (Five Scenes from Melville)”.