UNCW to play Clemson in charity event

Back to Article
Back to Article

UNCW to play Clemson in charity event

Former UNCW coach Brad Brownell cuts down the nets after winning the 2006 CAA tournament. It was the second conference title in Brownell’s four-year tenure in the Port City.

UNCW Athletic Communications

UNCW Athletic Communications

UNCW Athletic Communications

UNC Wilmington men’s basketball team has agreed to a Hurricane Florence fundraiser exhibition with Clemson on Oct. 27 at Trask Coliseum.

Clemson coach Brad Brownell was a UNCW assistant coach for eight seasons under Jerry Wainwright before succeeding him in 2002.

Brownell spent four seasons as the Seahawks head coach guiding the program to two Colonial Athletic Association champions as well as two NCAA tournament appearances. He compiled an 83-40 (52-20 CAA) record in Wilmington.

“We are excited to help contribute to a community that we care about deeply. Having personally been through several hurricanes,” said Brownell in a statement. “I know the devastation and problems they can cause for those living in this part of the country, specifically the Carolinas.”

He left the program in 2006 to accept the same position at Wright State before he was hired at Clemson in 2010. He had been scheduled to speak at UNCW men’s basketball’s third annual Tip-off dinner on Sept. 20 before the event was postponed due to Hurricane Florence.

“We’re looking forward to welcoming Brad and his team to Wilmington for this special game. Proceeds from the game will help a lot of people who are hurting right now,” said UNCW coach C.B. McGrath. “It’s for a good cause, so we’re hoping the community will turn out to raise money to help everyone in this part of the state get back on their feet.”

McGrath competed against Brownell’s Tigers in the Atlantic Coast Conference while McGrath was an assistant under North Carolina coach Roy Williams.

UNCW was granted a waiver from the NCAA to host the game. Division I men’s basketball programs are allowed two preseason exhibitions that can be private scrimmages against another Division I opponent or a public game against a non-Division I team. The Seahawks will play William & Peace at home in its other preseason exhibition on Nov. 2.

Tickets are $20 with proceeds benefiting the Good Shepherd Center in Wilmington and UNCW’s Campus Emergency Fund for Student Hurricane Relief, a donor-supported fund launched by UNCW in the days after the hurricane.

“So many of our students have been deeply affected by this disaster, and we are doing everything we can to support them in their time of need,” said UNCW Chancellor Jose V. Sartarelli. “We are grateful to our friends at Clemson for working with us to make this happen, and to our fans for their ongoing support. We anticipate a terrific event for our community.”