UNCW Baseball announces incoming class for 2019

Travis Stoker/The Seahawk

UNCW baseball coach Mark Scalf

Collin Underwood, Staff Writer

The UNC Wilmington baseball team announced its incoming class for the 2019 season last Friday. The class of 13 includes 11 freshmen and two junior college transfers.

The freshman class includes catchers Josh Harvey and Matthew Suggs who will replace catcher Ryan Jeffers (selected in second round of the 2018 MLB draft by the Minnesota Twins).

The Seahawks added infielders Stephen Ridge, Brooks Baldwin and Adam Smith to provide depth up the middle. Former Brunswick Community College first basemen Zack Johnson is a candidate be the Seahawk’s starting first baseman with Mason Berne’s professional career now underway.

All three starting outfielders from last year’s Colonial Athletic Association championship squad return, but the Seahawks brought in two freshman outfielders Broadus Roberson and Christopher Thorburn, to back up the incumbent starters. Thorburn is also the younger brother of former Seahawks center fielder Robbie Thorburn, who now plays in the Baltimore Orioles’ organization.

On the mound, UNCW added multiple arms for new pitching coach Matt Myers. Transfer Rian Haire joins the staff from St. John’s River State College, while Michael Picollo, Jason Hudak, Troy Langmeyer and Ty Wilson make the jump from high school.

The Seahawks had three pitching commits get drafted out of high school in last June’s draft. Picollo (drafted in the 33rdround by the New York Mets) is the lone pitcher to stay committed. Former commit Justin Jarvis signed with the Milwaukee Brewers after he was selected in fifth-round while 21stround pick Jake Smith flipped his commitment to Chipola College, a junior college in Florida.

UNCW will play on Oct. 6 when it welcomes longtime rival Campbell to Brooks Field for a fall exhibition. The fall schedule concludes on October 21 when the Seahawks visit Coastal Carolina. The annual inter-squad “Fall World Series” is also on schedule for the fall semester, with dates to be announced.