Dub Diamond Weekly Wrap-up: Week 5

Collin Underwood, Staff Writer

Baseball (14-6, 3-2 in Week 5) 

After spending last weekend in the desert, the UNC Wilmington baseball team came home to Brooks Field for a five-game set against Ohio State and Quinnipiac. UNCW looked to be on a west coast hangover, as mental errors plagued the Seahawks as they were swept in two games against OSU. After mustering only four runs against the Buckeyes, UNCW exploded for 37 runs in their three-game sweep of Quinnipiac. On Friday, the Seahawks erupted for 19 runs in their shutout win, which is their highest single-game total this season. After allowing 16 runs in two games against OSU, the Seahawks pitching staff only allowed six runs in the sweep of Quinnipiac. 

Pitcher of the Week: Alex Royalty 

The UNCW ace grabs the weekly honor after throwing another Friday gem to kick off the series against Quinnipiac. The junior right-hander threw seven shutout innings, allowing only four hits and striking out eight Bobcat hitters. Royalty improved his record this season to 3-1 while improving his ERA to 2.08. Royalty leads all Seahawks starters in both categories. 

Player of the Week: Riley Zayicek 

Junior catcher Ryan Jeffers could win this award every week, as he leads the Seahawks in almost every statistical category at the plate. With that said, the resurgence of sophomore outfielder Riley Zayicek was arguably even more impressive in week five. After finally coming back from injury, Zayicek made his season debut this weekend, starting all three games versus Quinnipiac. He served as the designated hitter in all three games, going 5-11 (.455) at the plate. To go along with his five hits, Zayicek added a walked, five RBIs, and his first home run of the season. His return provides UNCW coach Mark Scalf with more depth at the DH and outfield positions. 

Freshman of the Week: Noah Liles 

Like Zayicek, Noah Liles had his own outburst at the plate this weekend for the Seahawks. Liles began the season as a regular starter for UNCW before a 0-for-19 slump sent him to the bench. Scalf put Liles back in the lineup and it paid off for the Seahawks. Liles went 8-12 (.667) on the weekend, including a 4-6 night on Friday. He added three RBIs and scored four runs in route to securing CAA Rookie of the Week honors. Liles will continue to find himself in the lineup if his hot hitting continues. 

What’s to come: 

The Seahawks end their nine-game homestand this week, starting with a midweek game versus rival ECU on Wednesday night. They will then open CAA play when UNCW welcomes the Hofstra Pride to Brooks Field. 

Around the CAA: 

As the Seahawks swept Quinnipiac over the weekend, rival College of Charleston was swept by the Bobcats in a two-game midweek series. The Cougars turned their week around by taking two out of three games at Big 12 opponent Kansas State. UNCW now sits one game back of College of Charleston in the win column with CAA play starting this weekend. 

Softball (7-14, 0-1 in Week 5) 

The UNC Wilmington softball team was only able to get in one game during the week due to troublesome weather. The team’s scheduled matchup with North Carolina was postponed due to high winds and cold temperatures. The game has yet to be rescheduled. In their lone game of the week, the Seahawks fell at rival East Carolina on Tuesday, 6-4. The Pirates struck for five early runs in the second inning and later added an insurance run in their last at-bat in the sixth. The Seahawks scored all of their runs in the fourth inning off of a Carson Shaner grand slam. The grand slam was Shaner’s first hit in fourteen at-bats so far on the season. 

What’s to come: 

UNCW will look ahead to the weekend, as they have no midweek games scheduled. Like the baseball team, the Seahawks will start CAA play this weekend against Hofstra. However, the softball team will kick off conference play on the road in Hampstead, NY. 

Around the CAA: 

Towson continues its tear across the college softball landscape, as the Tigers continue to pace the CAA with a 20-5 record just before league play begins. Perennial CAA top-dog James Madison sits second behind the Tigers with a 19-7 record. The two teams will meet this weekend for a three-game series to kick off their conference schedules.