Advice from Sally Seahawk

Genevieve Guenther

Sally Seahawk, Staff Writer

I changed my major to psychology this semester and this is the first time I will have group advising. Will this be as helpful as one-on-one advising appointments?

As a psychology major myself, I also have to go through group advising. The group advising sessions are more focused on the basic requirements of completing the psychology major and being able to do it on time for graduation. They go through the required classes and the prerequisites for all of them. Once you attend your first group advising session you will have a very good idea of what requirements you have to meet. Along with the group advising sessions, you are also assigned a personal advisor. This advisor is there for you if you need any additional help on choosing your classes or professors. It is not required that you meet with him or her, but they are there if you need them. I personally love to meet with my advisor. I think it is very beneficial to meet with your personal advisor, especially since you just changed to a psychology major.

One of my best guy friends told me that he has feelings for me. I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to ruin our friendship, but I also don’t want to miss an opportunity.

This can be a tough decision to make. If you guys have been friends for a long time then you most likely get along well around each other and it is probably easy to hold a conversation with him. This is a step in the right direction. If you are willing to give this relationship a shot it is super important that you are comfortable around him. However, as good as this relationship may seem in your head, you have to remember that you are risking losing one of your best friends. In most scenarios, once you have tried to date and things don’t work out, things don’t usually go back to a normal friendship. It’s difficult to revert back to a “just friends” relationship. It is definitely possible for this relationship to work out and be a great thing for you. You should talk to him about if you are both willing to try and take a risk and make things work.

I joined a sorority this semester and when I am around all of my sisters I feel very self-conscious about myself. I am not very happy in my own body and sometimes I feel like I live a boring life. How can I become more confident in myself?

A lot of girls experience this but not many admit that they are feeling this way, so you are on the right track to feeling more confident. First of all before I give any advice, you are beautiful just the way you are. Social media is a huge factor in girls feeling insecure about their bodies or their lives in general. When you scroll through the explore page on Instagram all you see are skinny, tan, pretty girls who look like they live an extraordinary life. So, delete the app. When you get the app off of your phone you will not be forced to look at other girls or get jealous. You will find yourself getting down on yourself less often. When you are around your sorority sisters just know that they all love you for who you are. You don’t have to change for them, especially if they truly are your friends. Instead, find confidence through them. Confidence is the most beautiful thing about a woman; remember that. Just because you feel like you live a simple life does not mean that it is boring. Sometimes simplicity is the best thing. Take advantage of the simple moments in your life and make the most of them.