ACE to host 12th annual 24-hour movie marathon

Courtesy of the Association for Campus Entertainment

The annual 24-hour movie marathon takes place Mar. 24 in Lumina Theater.

Kyle Kissinger, Assistant Lifestyles Editor

Twenty-four hours, twelve movies, one marathon.

The Association for Campus Entertainment [ACE] kicks off their annual 24-hour movie marathon, Hawk-In, at noon on March 24 in Lumina Theater. This year marks the 12th consecutive year that ACE has held this event in Lumina, and it is free for all students.

The lineup for Hawk-In 12 was officially revealed to students in early February before a showing of “It.”

Students are encouraged to attempt to stay for all 24 hours in order to complete the Hawk-In Challenge. You must stay for every movie and all for all 24 hours in order to complete the challenge. All participants who successfully complete the challenge will win a uniquely designed Hawk-In shirt, along with other prizes.

“Each year the shirt has a different design, and this year our design is incredibly intricate,” said ACE Films Co-chair Maggie Auzenne.”The shirt itself really high quality and especially soft, which is perfect for 24-hour lounging.”

Aside from the Hawk-In Challenge, there will be other ways to win prizes for those students who are unable to stay for the entire marathon.

“We plan to hold a contest before each film, with each contest themed around the film that is about to be shown,” said Auzenne. “For example, for ‘The Dark Knight,’ we are having a best Joker/Batman impression contest and for ‘Dirty Dancing’ we are having a dance contest. Each contest has a prize, so if you lose at one, you still have 11 other chances to win.”

The film selection process for the Hawk-In lineup is not easy and is a lengthy task. “It starts with the community, our students. During the fall semester we take nominations from students through social media,” said ACE Films Co-chair Tommy Guerrera. “Over winter break, our films committee narrows down the films from the hundreds of nominations that we get. Once we have narrowed it down to 30 potential films, we then have a long discussion about selecting 10 of those films for our lineup.”

As is tradition, the final two films in the lineup are handpicked by the films chairs. This year, Guerrera picked “The Wrestler,” and Auzenne picked “The Lion King.”

The only requirement to be considered to be a part of the Hawk-In lineup is for the film to be at least 10 years of age.

Last fall, ACE also held the 80’s themed Mini Hawk-In as preparation for the full event this spring. Mini Hawk-In is only a 12-hour movie marathon consisting of six films and follows a theme. Previous themes for Mini Hawk-In in previous years have been Disney themed, Oscar award-winning films and space-themed.

“Participating in Hawk-In is an essential part of the Seahawk experience,” said Guerrera. “The entire event for me is a special experience. I am able to watch a bunch of movies I never got to see on the big screen with some of my best friends. Spending 24-hours in Lumina Theater will bring you very close with everyone around you.”

Hawk-In 12 Lineup:
12:00 p.m. – “The Lion King”
1:50 p.m. – “Jumanji”
3:50 p.m. – “The Road To El Dorado”
5:30 p.m. – “Mean Girls”
7:45 p.m. – “The Dark Knight”
10:30 p.m. – “Clue”
12:15 a.m. – “The Wrestler”
2:15 a.m. – “Hot Rod”
4:00 a.m. – “Psycho”
6:00 a.m. – “Monty Python And The Holy Grail”
8:05 a.m. – “Dirty Dancing”
10:00 a.m. – “E.T. The Extra Terrestrial”

Find out more info about Hawk-In 12 here and check out the trailer for the full lineup below.

Association for Campus Entertainment UNCW | Youtube