Student Government Association update

Courtesy+of+UNCW+SGA+

Courtesy of UNCW SGA

Meredith Hoffman, News Editor

Two months into the spring semester Student Government Association [SGA] is continuing to work on a number of student-based initiatives around campus.

Last semester, SGA focused on a range of issues including diversity on campus, sexual assault prevention, and campus parking and construction.

In an effort to encourage and advance a diversified student body, SGA hosted the Soul Session Sunday concert last semester. The purpose of the concert was to “show support for diversity throughout campus”, according to student senator Jake Turney.

Additionally, SGA focused on sexual assault awareness during the fall semester and hosted an event called My Costume is not my Consent which was a Halloween program aimed at undermining the stereotype that a woman’s clothing determines consent.

A focus on sexual assault awareness continued into the spring semester. SGA joined with Collaboration for Assault Response and Education [CARE] and Title IX to plan Voices Against Violence which is an event aimed at raising awareness to the prevalence of sexual assault on college campuses.

Voices Against Violence will take place on April 4 from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m and will include live music and events for the student body.

A staple of SGA is their platform which promises to fix parking on campus, and spring semester 2018 is no exception.

Turney maintains that SGA is working with “university leaders” and Chancellor Sartarelli to address the problem of insufficient parking on campus.

Campaigning for SGA elections will begin on March 12 and will last until March 22 giving students ten days to meet the candidates and learn about their platforms.

This is a developing story, more information about SGA will be available as events and activities occur.