Remembering professor Gerald Shinn

Shinn’s influence on campus will endure through the various art installations he sanctioned, a couple of which can be seen in Randall Library. Artwork from famous glass blower Dale Chihuly, a recipient of a National Living Treasure award, is exhibited in Randall thanks to Shinn’s determination.

Lori Wilson | Staff Writer

UNCW will remember the late professor Gerald Shinn for his generosity, kindness and dynamic personality.

Shinn passed away in Albemarle, N.C. on Jan. 26. After 27 years of dedication to UNCW students, he retired from his position as a philosophy and religion professor in 1995. Shinn influenced countless lives along the way.

“The school wanted to name a building after him because he was so popular,” said Tyrone Rowell, former senior associate vice president for university enhancement and Shinn’s friend. 

Rowell got to know the professor because Shinn was almost always on campus, usually after hours, helping students with different projects.

“But he denied the building idea. We knew we had to name something after him though, so we launched Shinn Plaza,” Rowell said.

Shinn Plaza is a gazebo area near Honors House. Architect Roman Kolodij designed the unusual campus structure. It has an open-design ceiling dome made of filigree metal. The structure was created to illustrate Shinn’s unique style of working with students. He loved to hold classes outdoors where he had students participate in sidewalk chalk exercises.

Will Rose, UNCW alumni, was one of those students. Rose now works as a pastor for Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Chapel Hill. Shinn often invited Rose and other students to his home for lunch or reading discussions. Rose still uses Shinn’s wisdom and advice as an example today.

“Mr. Shinn would always write on the board ‘P > A,’ meaning the process is greater than the answer. I remember he used to have us write that on sidewalks all over campus,” Rose said. “He would always teach that how you find the answer is more important. For some reason, that philosophy has always stuck with me and I use it in counseling today.”

Not only was Shinn’s teaching memorable, his character was memorable as well. Faculty and students never saw him without his walking cane, a Greek fisherman’s cap or his necktie tucked into his shirt pocket.

“Bill Friday always said that every campus needed a Gerry Shinn, but only one,” said Rowell. Bill Friday, another unforgettable UNCW contributor, passed away last October.

In addition to his teaching, Shinn created or co-created several programs and rewards-the Albert Schweitzer Honors Scholar AwardN.C. Living Treasure Award and the Museum of World Cultures.

“He [Shinn] really was an amazing fella. We would drive along and he would stop to give children books all the time. I think a lot of people will miss him,” said Martin Meyerson.

Martin Meyerson is a local radiology doctor who endowed the NC Living Treasure Award in honor of his mother.

Shinn’s influence on campus will endure through the art installations he sanctioned, a couple of which can be seen in Randall Library. 

Artwork from famous glass blower Dale Chihuly, a recipient of a National Living Treasure award, is exhibited in Randall thanks to Shinn’s determination. Next to the artwork is a portrait of Shinn, to honor his contribution.